Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Two ways to have a baby

Well I was thinking about our potential path to having a baby through IVF versus the "normal way" that most people have a baby. Sooo most people who want to conceive a baby just have sex around the time of ovulation and if all goes well sperm meets egg and voila conception happens.



Our journey is a bit more complicated. Here's how we hope to conceive a child...



March: start researching the best fertility clinics in western Canada.



April: choose the Victoria Fertility Centre and call for information. First consult with doctor over the phone



May: get prescriptions and requistions for tests in the mail. Start metformin 3 times/day, start pcos friendly eating plan, go for bloodwork for every imaginable thing from genetic tests to HIV to hormone levels, physical for hubby, etc etc.

Book accomodations in Victoria, start figuring out how to pay for everything


June: book kennel for puppy, book ferry for busy long weekend, get ultrasound done, set up plan to have medical expenses go through my company, start birth control pills to suppress normal cycle, go for more bloodwork.



July start injectible fertility drugs...yes I have to give them to myself.



August: drive to Kamloops, stay over night, drive to Vancouver, take the ferry to Victoria,

Continue injections, go for daily monitoring at clinic, do some fun stuff inbetween people checking out my uterus, take shot to trigger ovulation, get looped up on drugs so my eggs can be retrieved from my ovaries, have hubby's sperm injected into eggs to make embryos (yay conception!), wait while embryos are cultured (allowed to grow) for 3-5 days, get reports on embryo development, meet with doctor to decide how many embryos to transfer and what to do with any extra ones, have one or two embryos transfered back into me, enjoy resting while hubby treats me like a princess for a few days and then drive back 15 hours to pick up the puppy and get home. Then wait for 2 weeks and go for bloodtest to see if I'm pregnant.



Sooo slightly more complicated but it's funny that this seems totally normal to me like this is just how you have a child. The whole have sex and make a baby thing just seems like a myth to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment