Saturday, June 4, 2011

Happy for problems!

I'm so happy that I have a doctor who did all the testing to see what may be stopping us from having a sucessful pregnancy. At first it looked like conception was the only problem, but then even when they fertilized the egg for us and we had perfect embryos they didn't implant, or they started to implant and then stopped. Then there is our only natural conception that ended in early miscarriage.

It may sound strange but I'm happy to have problems that can be treated and to know about them now rather than getting pregnant easily and having more losses. Women with pcos have a higher risk of miscarriage and tend to have poorer outcomes with IVF but taking Metformin during the first trimester helps. I have the prothrombin gene that causes increased clotting, miscarriage, and other pregnancy complications, but I can take injections of blood thinners before, during, and after pregnancy to prevent them. Women with hypothyroidism have higher risk of miscarriage, but my TSH levels are monitored closely and I can take a hormone to keep the levels normal.

It doesn't feel great to have a bunch of problems, but I'm so happy they are treatable. I was reading something about pregnancy needing to be treated as a natural, normal part of life, not as a medical concern and that natural childbirth etc is the best. I seriously could care less about whether a pregancy is "natural" or not. If I get pregnant and give birth it will take some major medical help to get pregnant and stay pregnant and I'm super thankful that it is available. If I am so blessed to get pregnant I will be 36 years old (advanced maternal age they say) and looking for a medical doctor to closely monitor all aspects of the pregnancy.. God bless the midwives who help women do everything naturally...but for me there is nothing natural about any of it and all that matters is the end result!

No comments:

Post a Comment