Monday, May 16, 2011

Gene mutations?

My doctor recently let me know that he got more test results back and I have the prothrombin gene mutation which puts me at risk for developing a deep vein thrombis and higher risk for miscarriage and other pregnancy complications.

I did some reading about it and found out that it mainly occurs in Caucasian people and is most common in Spain. I inherited this mutation from one of my parents and they are both from Spain....how interesting. The good thing is that it is treatable with injections of Heparin which is a blood thinner. My doctor was going to have me on heparin anyways but now I get to start it sooner and if I should get pregnant I'll be staying on it I think.

I am not a fan of more injections but I am very happy to know about this problem and will gladly do them if it means helping the embyos implant and helping a pregnancy to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment